Name StatusOfficial ValidatedFeatureCapeNZ Gazette Reference2012 (53) p.1477DatumRSRGD2000GeoTag -77.6333333333333 166.4 DescriptionA low promontory on the west coast of Ross Island forming the northern entrance to Erebus Bay. Discovered by the NAE, 1901-04, which named it the Skuary. The BAE, 1910-13, built its headquarters here, and before doing so, Scott, in 1911, renamed it Cape Evans in honour of his second in command, Lieutenant Edward R G R Evans, RN, later Admiral Lord Mountevans. The cape is the termination of a compartively low peninsula which projects about 1 1/2 miles into McMurdo Sound. The Ross Sea Party of theImperial Trans-Antartic Expedition, 1914-17, also wintered here.