Name StatusOfficial ValidatedFeaturePointNZ Gazette Reference2012 (53) p.1477DatumRSRGD2000GeoTag PositionDescriptionThis prosaic name was given to one of the most widely known points in the Ross Dependency. It is a small promontory lying about 1 1/2 miles north-west of Cape Armitage at the southern end of Hut Point Peninsula on Ross Island. Discovered and named by the NAE, 1901-04, which built their Discovery hut at this point. It was used as an advanced base by the BAE, 1907-09, by the BAE, 1910-13, and by the Imperial Trans-Antarctic Expedition, 1914-17. Nearby is the present American Base, established in 1955-56, and known as Williams Air Operating Facility.