Name StatusOfficial ValidatedFeatureGlacierNZ Gazette Reference2012 (53) p.1477DatumRSRGD2000GeoTag PositionDescriptionA first-order valley glacier laying on the north side of Mt Murchison and forming the southern boundary of the Victory Mountains. It drains to the north-west corner of the Lady Newnes Ice Shelf immediately to the south of the Mt Phillips massif, and is one of the two large contributors of piedmont ice to the ice-shelf. A few miles upstream from its debouchure from its valley to the ice shelf it is joined at right angles from the south by a large unnamed tributary, which drains the eastern and northern fall of the Mt Murchison massif.
Its lower floating reaches and the entrance to its valley were reconnoitred in December 1958 by Captain J Cadwalader and two members of the NZGSAE, 1958-59, in helicopter flight form the ice-breakers USS "Glacier" and USS "Staten Island" which were lying close to the south end of Coulman Island, in an attempt to land expedition members on the mainland. Named by the NZGSAE, 1958-59, as a tribute to the work of the mariners in Antarctic research and exploration.